Who We Are
The Cardea Center for Women is a collaborative effort among women throughout Silicon Valley towards developing a new hub for women’s activity.
We envision a vibrant multi-purpose center that will provide a much needed a gathering place for many of the local women's organizations and community groups. Most importantly, the Cardea Women’s Center provides opportunities for women to connect, network, and learn from other women and more effectively address the challenges facing them.
The Cardea Center for Women envisions a world without barriers to women’s aspirations and their advancement. We aspire to:
- Open doors to opportunity.
- Enrich lives through education, support and outreach.
- Empower women by valuing women’s voices, leadership and contributions.
The Cardea Center is a 501 (c)3 non-profit whose mission is to promote women's access to opportunities across the Silicon Valley region and to facilitate the personal and professional wellbeing, advancement and equality of all women and girls .
And we fulfill this by:
- Value women's voices, vision, leadership, and contributions.
- Encourage & broaden life/career options for women
- Provide opportunities that enrich the lives of women of all ages
- Engage & encourage women to explore and expand beyond their doors
- Using technology as a tool for women's networking initiatives.
- Linking women to programs & resources and offering comprehensive information.
- Informing women about issues relevant to their lives.
- Connecting women to upcoming events and activities geared towards them.
The Center will:
- Design a "One-Stop Shop" offering multiple services in one welcoming location;
- Provide the necessary tools and skills for women's economic success;
- Become a comprehensive clearinghouse for community resources and information;
- Connect needs and resources by initiating collaborations;
- Increase women's participation in their private and public endeavors;
- Provide opportunities for leadership development and community service;
- Connect with women at the national and global level;
- Provide an affordable, community facility to non-profits serving women and girls.
The Cardea Center is committed to both personal and professional growth of women, fostering partnerships with service providers and community based organizations to connect women of all ages to resources in order to prepare them to face life’s challenges and facilitate their advancement.
The effort to develop a women's center in Silicon Valley grew out of a desire for a common forum to address issues pertinent to women and girls. At the beginning of 2005, a handful of women who felt passionately about the concerns of women and girls and aware of the growing, but unmet needs of diverse groups of women in the area, the lack of a special place totally devoted to addressing women’s needs and for pursuing their various activities & projects, saw a vacuum that needed to be filled, which was a space exclusively focused on all aspects of women’s lives, where women thrived and realized their maximum potential.
A petition drive to assess this need galvanized more than 350 women in the community to lend their support. With the support of the Women’s Action Network and in partnership with SCC Office of Women’s Policy. Planning for a Women’s Center began in the summer of 2005 and became a 501( C )3 organization in the spring of 2008. Focus groups were convened, and the concepts for a women’s center emerged. The center’s mission was shaped by listening to women’s voices in the community with a principle objective of empowering all women and girls.
Today the Cardea Center for Women works from its San Jose location as a community of individuals and organizations - connecting and linking and advancing the interests of women. Additionally, The Center sponsors events and forums for women throughout Silicon Valley
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors, staff and volunteers direct the activities of the Center and advance its strategic goals. They have been selected for for their long-standing work in supporting women’s voices and visions and bring their experiences and perspectives to help shape the Center's programs to inform, encourage and empower women & girls.
As a volunteer-run collaborative, we depend on the many enthusiastic dedicated women in the community who support the Center’s mission. We thank them for their commitment and their involvement.
Join The Women's Center Mailing List
Send us your name, phone, mailing address, and e-mail address. We'll keep you informed about events and other opportunities for involvement.
Email us your comments, opinions, and suggestions about this website.